Persian rugs have a long, rich history that dates back thousands of years. It’s an amazing history of how rugs came to be, and now you can add some history to your home. In addition to the great stories that Persian rugs tell, having a rug in your home will enhance your room and take it to the next level. It brings warmth, coziness, and elegance, which are sure to impress you and your guests anytime you walk through your front door.
Why should you add a Persian rug to your home? Read on to see if it’s right for you – because we are confident it will be.
How are Persian Rugs Made?
Persian rugs are made by hand. Every single knot in the rug is hand-tied by expert rug makers using ancient techniques passed down from generation to generation. These hand-knotted works of art start on a loom, and each piece of the rug is tied onto the rug foundation. If the rug has a fringe, the fringe is part of the original rug, not added at the end, like machine-made rugs.
Since every piece of the rug is made by hand, it can take rug makers over a year to make one rug. This is with five or six workers working on the rug at least six hours a day. The quality is a work of art, and the materials used only adds to the beauty. Many Persian rugs are made with wool, which makes the rugs incredibly durable and last for many years.
Due to the rug-making process and the high-quality materials used, Persian rugs come at a cost, but if you’re looking to spend the money on a rug, a Persian rug is well worth the price.
Why Buy a Persian Rug
The reasons that people want to buy a Persian rug are as varied as the hundreds of designs and styles you might find. Here are seven reasons to consider purchasing a Persian rug.
- Investment. Persian rugs, unlike machine-made rugs, will only increase in value over time. They are amazingly durable because they are generally made of wool, which is one of the most durable materials possible. Wool fibers can be bent back and forth 20,000 times before breaking. That means you can get a lot of mileage out of your rug before it starts to show signs of wear. Rugs can become a family heirloom piece since they will hold up over time.
- Appreciation. The craftsmanship that goes into making the rugs is of the highest caliber. The rugs are truly pieces of art that will make you appreciate the hard work and beauty that went into making your rug.
- Art. Adding a rug will bring a piece of art into your home. Each rug is unique and different, and since it’s handmade, no two pieces will ever be the same. Some rugs look like they could be digital pictures because the details are so precise.
- Decorating. Looking for the perfect rug to decorate your house with is like going on a treasure hunt and finding the hidden treasure. Once you do find the perfect piece, you will feel like you hit the decorating jackpot.
- History. Adding a Persian rug can add a piece of history to your home because an antique rug already has stories to tell, or possibly a new rug that you get to create your own stories with. No matter if you get a new or old rug, there is history woven into each knot of the rug. The colors used, the designs, and the rug-making style all carry thousands of years of knowledge that has been passed down over time.
- Style. Rugs have been around and popular for thousands of years. They have only become more popular over the years, so no matter how long you have your rug, it will always be in style.
- Comfort. Persian rugs are the ultimate comfort piece without compromising style. Rugs help absorb sound and add warmth to large spaces. Rugs are also great pieces for people who suffer from allergies. If they are made of wool, these rugs act as natural air filters. Plus, wool is hypoallergenic and is resistant to mold and mildew growth, which makes this material perfect for allergy sufferers.
Picking the perfect rug for your home
As stated earlier, finding the perfect rug for your home is a treasure hunt. How do you find the ideal rug for your home? Of course, it’s your personal preference, but there are some things you might want to take into consideration while you’re shopping.
What is the purpose of your rug? Do you want to define the sitting space in your living room? If so, make sure your rug is large enough to hold all of the furniture in your living room. If you don’t get a rug that big, make sure at least the front legs of the furniture will comfortably be on the rug. This will make it look complete and pulled together versus thrown together haphazardly.
Do you want to redecorate your whole room and give it an updated look? If so, pick your rug first and get pieces to go with the rug. It’s most likely that your rug will outlast most everything else in the room, so you want to make sure the rug you get is one that you love.
It’s easy to drive yourself knotty during the whole rug shopping experience, so focus on colors that you love and a style that you love. What speaks to you? What are you drawn to? The rug will become the center of your room, so you’ll want to make sure it’s something you love looking at. Take your time, be patient, and shop around until you find what it is that you’re looking for. This rug will last you a lifetime.
At Rug Source, we are confident you will find what you’re looking for and that it will be the perfect addition to your home. We know how important it is to shop around and take your time in the rug buying process. We offer competitive prices and a wide selection that are sure to impress you no matter what your budget is. Let us show you how your world can change by simply rolling out the rug.